You don’t have to be a professional trades-person to enjoy creating, repairing, and renovating. Millions of people around the world delight in spending their weekends chain smoking Camel cigarettes and hammering nails in planks before rising on Monday morning and returning to their job at the bank (or another non-trades related profession).
Of course, being a hobbyist carpenter does not mean you can use subpar tools when you get down to work. You must hold yourself and your tools to a certain standard if you want to complete the project successfully and come out on the other end with a sturdy and, above all else, safe product.
A lot of DIYers focus not on building, but on repairing and utilize their talents to repair malfunctioning devices around the house so they don’t have to drop money on professional intervention. However, objects such as radiators, boilers, and showers are incredibly delicate and can be damaged irrevocably by even the most well-meaning aspiring handyman if they attempt to carry out a repair using inferior quality tools.
Like many modern-day tradespeople, I began my journey as a DIYer. I completed various jobs around the homes of my parents and grandparents prior to securing my apprenticeship. This meant that by the time I scored my first paying job, I was already a veteran of the game. Whether you want to follow in my footsteps and one day make a living from your love of DIY or are happy just hammering away on your days off, you’re going to need a quality tool set to see you from the conception to the completion of a project.
Craftsman has been one of the premier manufacturers of tools for professionals and DIYers alike ever since it opened its doors almost 100 years ago. When sold individually, Craftsman’s tools are fantastic. When sold together in a set they make up everything you will ever need to get your DIY empire off the ground.
Top 5 Craftsman Mechanic Tool sets for DIYers
|Craftsman 230-Piece Mechanics Tool Set, 50230||
|(4.6 / 5)|
|Craftsman 311 Piece Mechanics Tool Set with 75 Tooth Ratchets||
|(3.8 / 5)|
|Craftsman 254 PC Mechanics Tool Set with 75 Tooth Ratchet||
|(4.4 / 5)|
|Craftsman 165 pc Mechanics Tool Set # 38165||
|(4.6 / 5)|
|Craftsman 108 Pc. Mechanic’s Tool Set – 009-38108||
|(4.5 / 5)|
Craftsman 230 Piece Mechanics Tool Set
Consumer Ratings (4.6 / 5)
If you’re relatively new to the DIY game and need a quality collection of tools to get you started on your journey, you can’t do much better than the Craftsman 230 Piece Mechanics Tool Set. This set is composed of essential professional quality tools and sells for under $100, which, as I’m sure our thriftiest readers have already figured out, comes in at less than $1 per tool.
- Universal joints and two extensions bars
- Six combination wrenches
- Alloy steel construction complemented by a silver finish
- When you buy from Craftsman, you can be sure that you are getting a quality product. However, that is especially true with the Craftsman 230 Piece Mechanics Tool Set, which is ranked as the best selling mechanic’s tool set in the world today.
- The alloy steel of which the tools in this set are composed makes it possible for each tool to withstand immense pressure without the threat of premature wear.
- Craftsman packages this set in a sturdy plastic container. The case will minimize the risk of your tools being damaged by bumps and knocks while simultaneously allowing you to organize them in a way that suits you.
Craftsman products were once made in America, which meant the company’s design team could preside over the entire manufacturing process. This tool set is made overseas, where it is mass produced with minimal attention to detail.
Included Tool Sizes
43491 3/16″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43492 7/32″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43493 1/4″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43494 9/32″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43495 5/16″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43496 11/32″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43497 3/8″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43498 7/16″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43499 1/2″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43480 9/16″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43505 4 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43501 5 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43511 5.5 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43502 6 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43503 7 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43504 8 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43507 9 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43508 10 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43509 11 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43513 12 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43514 13 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43512 14 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43608 3/16″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43609 7/32″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43601 1/4″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
46302 9/32″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43603 5/16″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43604 11/32″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43605 3/8″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43606 7/16″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43607 1/2″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43610 9/16″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43571 3/16″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43572 7/32″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43573 1/4″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43574 9/32″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43575 5/16″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43576 11/32″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43577 3/8″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43578 7/16″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43589 1/2″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43587 9/16″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
44401 4 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44402 5 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44403 6 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44404 7 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44405 8 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44406 9 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44407 10 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44408 11 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44409 12 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44411 13 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44412 14 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
43538 1-1/2″ extension bar 1/4″
42999 1/4″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43000 5/16″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43001 3/8″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43002 7/16″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43003 1/2″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43004 9/16″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43005 5/8″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43006 11/16″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43007 3/4″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43008 13/16″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43013 7/8″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43516 6 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43533 7 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43536 8 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43541 9 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43542 10 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43543 11 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43544 12 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43545 13 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43546 14 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43547 15 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43570 16 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43548 17 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43579 18 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43549 19 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43580 20 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43584 21 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
44351 1/4″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44329 5/16″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44331 3/8″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44332 7/16″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44333 1/2″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44334 9/16″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44335 5/8″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44336 11/16″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44337 3/4″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44338 13/16″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44294 6 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44295 7 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44296 8 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44301 9 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44302 10 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44309 11 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44303 12 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44304 13 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44305 14 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44306 15 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44311 16 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44307 17 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44312 18 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44308 19 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44314 21 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
47507 11/16″ socket 12pt std inch 1/2″
47508 3/4″ socket 12pt std inch 1/2″
47511 13/16″ socket 12pt std inch 1/2″
47512 7/8″ socket 12pt std inch 1/2″
47513 15/16 socket 12pt std inch 1/2″
44237 17 mm socket 12pt std metric 1/2″
44267 18 mm socket 12pt std metric 1/2″
44238 19mm socket 12pt std metric 1/2″
44268 20 mm socket 12pt std metric 1/2″
44249 21 mm socket 12pt std metric 1/2″
44264 3″ extension bar 3/8″
44807 1/4″ quick release tear drop ratchet
44808 3/8″ quick release rear drop ratchet
44809 1/2″ quick release rear drop ratchet
44693 3/8″ combination wrench
44694 7/16″ combination wrench
44695 1/2″ combination wrench
42915 11mm combination wrench
42916 12mm combination wrench
42917 13mm combination wrench
43373 magnetic handle
12pc nut setter bits
50pc screw driver/ hex / torx with adapter
46696 20 pc hex key set inch
46677 20 pc hex key set metric
If you’re an aspiring DIYer with grand dreams of even grander designs, the Craftsman 230 Piece Mechanics Tool Set will get you where you want to go. Unlike a lot of tool sets on the market today, it provides a durable carrier case at no added cost, so it is a great choice for DIYers who must stick to a budget.
What Consumers Say about the Craftsman 230pc Mechanic Tool Set
- As a lifelong customer of Craftsman Tools, I am once again extremely pleased with the tool set. Overall, Craftsman is an excellent company providing high quality products.
- I am extremely happy with the quality of the tools. The case they came in is so nice that I am using that for storage, rather than a separate tool box. The lifetime warranty can’t be beat. Luckily, I have never had to use that warranty, but it gives me peace of mind.
- The only downside about this kit is storage for the Allen wrenches. There are two sets of Allen wrenches included in plastic bags, but nowhere convenient to store them in the case, so I have to store them separately. That is my ONLY complaint with this set.
- This is a great set.it has mostly ratchets sockets Allen wrenches but just a few wrenches.this makes a great starters set.if you was to buy a wrenches set to go along with it.say from 1/4 to 1 inches.and mm as well.you could get a lot of work done with that.I love this set.
- EXCELLENT tool set, I did buy the complete screw driver set as well as the SAE wrenches – Quality sockets and ratchets, I did need to buy some extensions , If you need a good deal , don’t pass this up.
Craftsman 311 Piece Mechanics Tool Set
Consumer Ratings (4.4 / 5)
If you have a little bit of extra money to play around with, you should definitely consider purchasing the Craftsman 311 Piece Mechanics Tool Set. With a staggering number of pieces, this tool set is ideal for any DIYer looking to entirely replace their current collection of tools with more durable and effective alternatives.
- Includes both metric and standard tools
- Includes 182 drive sockets, 4 spark plug sockets, 67 specialty tools, 6 extension bars, and more
- Quick-release technology
- For decades, Craftsman delighted its customers by offering a lifetime warranty with all of its tools, making repairs and replacements of faulty products a breeze to obtain. In recent years, however, Craftsman has limited its lifetime warranty to only the products that it feels most confident in. Thankfully, the Craftsman 311 Piece Mechanics Tool Set is one of those products, so you’ll never be let down.
- This tool set features 3 quick-release ratchets, which eliminates the need for awkward fumbling and maneuvering when trying to switch sockets, thereby increasing productivity.
- Despite featuring more than 300 tools, there is no fluff in this tool set. Every piece of equipment is there for a reason and will fulfill a unique purpose.
The Craftsman 311 Piece Mechanics Tool Set does not feature a case of any kind. Many who have purchased it have complained about having to drop a further $30 on a tool box just to store the pieces.
Tools Included in this Set
Click Here for the product list of the 311pc tool set.
The Craftsman 311 Piece Mechanics Tool Set is arguably the most comprehensive tool set on the market. Each tool serves as a literal shining example of the brand’s famous dedication to quality and will last you for decades. Even if something should go wrong, you will always have Craftsman’s lifetime warranty to fall back on.
What Consumers Say about the Craftsman 311pc Mechanic Tool Set
- I’ve had my eye on these for a couple years just because of their excellent price and seemingly amazing value. I had a coworker recently purchase it and being able to hold those things in my hand confirmed their quality.
- They are Chinese made, but Chinese made doesn’t always mean poor quality. These things feel very robust, specifically the ratchets. They’re exceptionally heavy and feel well built.
Best tool set I have ever bought. Had everything I needed for my shop. Craftsman definitely didn’t disappoint.
We bought this set as a Christmas gift for my son. He was very happy with the set. As always Craftsman puts out a quality product.
- Craftsman might not be the best quality, but for the prices they always offer one of the best values on the market.
Craftsman 254 Piece Mechanics Tool Set
Consumer Ratings (4.4 / 5)
If you don’t have the need or commitment ability for the Craftsman 311 Piece Mechanics Tool Set we just looked at, perhaps you will be more interested in its 254 piece alternative. While it is not quite as comprehensive as its predecessor, it still offers an extensive collection of tools for an incredible low price.
- Metric, inch, standard, and deep sockets
- Alloyed steel construction
- Quick-release technology
- All 254 tools featured in this set come safely packaged in a multi-drawer tool box, so you don’t have to worry about making space to store them at home or in your garage. The tool box itself features heavy-duty plastic construction, making it impervious to collisions and the buildup of dirt.
- Much like the 311 piece tool set we just looked at, the Craftsman 254 Piece Mechanics Tool Set comes with Craftsman’s famed lifetime warranty, so you’ll always be able to obtain a repair or replacement should any of the included tools fail to perform.
- The tools featured in this set all boast an ergonomic design, allowing them to be used for hours at a time without any pressure or strain on the wrists or arms.
The tool box in which these tools come packaged cannot be locked using a padlock, which will likely be an issue for the most paranoid of DIYers and those who must leave their tools in a van or car overnight.
Click Here to see all the tools included in the 254 piece tool set.
Although it doesn’t offer quite the selection of the previous tool set, the Craftsman 254 Piece Mechanics Tool Set more than makes up for it with the inclusion of a free heavy-duty tool box. This tool box will allow you to organize all 254 tools piece by piece so they can be easily tracked down when needed.
What Consumers Say about the Craftsman 254pc Mechanic Tool Set
- Great set! Trays even fit in my roller drawers! My initial set had a stripped out 1/4 inch but customer service contacted me the day after my set arrived (just to see how I liked the set) and squared my set away asap!! Happy with it!
- Yes I’m very happy, I do not know that this toolbox would come straight from Sears and came complete and with warranty. Awesome
- so far a pretty nice set. everything seems to be well made and complete.
- Very nice set, tools are quality pieces, even the bits are tough. Don’t strip like the China stamped bits ya buy elsewhere.
Exactly what I expected. The 75 tooth ratchets are very nice.
Craftsman 165 Piece Mechanics Tool Set
Consumer Ratings (4.6 / 5)
The Craftsman 165 Piece Mechanics Tool Set is a great option for DIYers who don’t get a whole lot of time to indulge in their passion. If you are only free to work on a project every second or third weekend, there is no sense in purchasing a set of 300 tools. This tool set provides a collection of tools that is useful and extensive without being overwhelming.
- Includes 92 sockets in total
- Two extension bars and two universal joints
- One ratchet in each drive size
- The Craftsman 165 Piece Mechanics Tool Set is designed to include everything you could ever require for common household tasks, such as assembling a barbecue in the summer or a new bicycle on your child’s birthday. With this tool set, you will never be lacking in anything needed to safely put together a new purchase.
- This tool set is another of Craftsman’s tool sets to come packaged in a carrier case, so storing all 165 tools won’t be a problem.
- Despite being intended for minor tasks, the tools featured in the Craftsman 165 Piece Mechanics Tool Set boast Craftsman’s usual dedication to quality and are unlikely to give way to wear for many years.
The Allen wrenches that come included in this set are not as carefully packaged as the other featured tools. Rather than being neatly stored in their own compartment, they are simply left lying inside the case in a flimsy plastic bag.
Click Here to see what tools are included in the 165pc tool set.
The Craftsman 165 Piece Mechanics Tool Set is perhaps the best tool set for DIYers who have no desire to take their hobby to the next level. Despite being designed for non-professionals, it features heavy-duty tools that rival some of the supposedly professional quality alternatives produced by other brands.
What Consumers Say about the Craftsman 165pc Mechanics Tool Set
- Nice kit, the Allen wrenches are in bags but everything else fits well and snug, definitely recommend as a replacement for those who haven’t replaced their old mismatched set of tools in a while.
- This tool set might not have everything, but it’s a great start for do it yourselfers.
- They are not the same as the ones I had that were made in the United States, but still they are of excellent quality. And the best thing is that, like the previous ones, these also have guarantee of life. Excellent buy
- I was putting alot of torque on one of the sockets and cracked it as well has broke a tooth in the ratchet, I called up Craftsman and got them both replaced no questions asked. They just asked that I return the ratchet because they do rebuild them.
- My last tool set lasted 15 years before any tools were broke, but that was my fault using a regular socket on an impact gun. These tools are still a great quality.
Craftsman 108 Piece Mechanics Tool Set
Consumer Ratings (4.5 / 5)
There’s nothing wrong with wanting to keep things simple, especially when you are under no obligation to use a plethora of tools. If you are a DIYer and don’t want to complicate matters by introducing 300 plus tools to your tool box, you should pay careful attention to the Craftsman 108 Piece Mechanics Tool Set.
- Ten screwdriver bits
- Lightweight case included
- 6-point socket wrenches
- Like many of the tool sets we have looked at throughout this article, The Craftsman 108 Piece Mechanics Tool Set comes neatly packaged in a plastic carrier case for added protection. The particular case included with this tool set features a lightweight design, so it can be easily transported from room to room and house to house.
- Because of its simplicity, the Craftsman 108 Piece Mechanics Tool Set can be purchased for significantly less than many other Craftsman tool sets. Generally selling for less than $60, it is the cheapest tool set to appear on this list.
- The tools in this set feature alloy steel construction, which contributes to their remarkable durability and ensures they won’t break or bend in high-pressure situations.
Like an increasing number of Craftsman products, the Craftsman 108 Piece Mechanics Tool Set is not manufactured in the United States of America. This means much of Craftsman’s original design and manufacturing techniques have been thrown by the wayside in an attempt to be more efficient and cost-effective.
Click Here to view the contents of the 108 piece tool set.
While it would be nice if the Craftsman 108 Piece Mechanics Tool Set were produced in the brand’s country of origin, it is impossible to deny that those who manufactured it did a stellar job. Because of its low price, it is a great choice for newbies who aren’t quite ready to throw themselves into DIY.
What Consumers Say about the Craftsman 108pc Mechanic Tool Set
- The Craftsman Tool set I purchased for light maintenance on my vehicle have received high praise from others that have seen them in use! I have used Craftsman Tools for over 30 years!
- This is really a well thought out socket set. you have basically all you would need along those lines with a nut driver too. everything stays in the case pretty well too.
- Bought for my utv. Has just about everything I might need in one small case that fits under or behind the seats. Only issue I had was the case coming open on the bumpiest of trails so I doubled up a bungee around it case closed.
- Can’t go wrong with Craftsman! Kit was given to teenage son and I told him that this is one of those gifts that will last him a lifetime. 25 years from now it’s possible he’ll still be accessing this tool set to put furniture together.
- Been using Craftsman ratchets at work for years and haven’t had a single set go wrong. It’s a shared set, so I’ve seen the abuse these things can take. Years of being used as hammers, pry bars, or various other things no ratchet should have to suffer haven’t destroyed a single one of them.
As a hobbyist, you don’t need to spend thousands of dollars on equipment. However, you owe it to yourself to purchase a quality set of tools, such as the Craftsman 254 PC Mechanics Tool Set with 75 Tooth Ratchet.
All of the tool sets featured on this list boast Craftsman’s usual dedication to quality and performance, so you can be certain of a pleasant using experience every time, regardless of which you purchase. That being said, one of these tool sets will be more suited to your needs than the others, so pay careful attention to each before making your final decision!