If you’re a mechanic, I’m sure I don’t need to tell you that you are in one of the highest-pressure areas of the trades industry. I mean, tradespeople generally have pretty stressful jobs, but few have more responsibility to their customers than a mechanic. When somebody leaves their car with you, they are not just trusting you with their automobile. They’re trusting you with their ability to get to work and their freedom to see the world. Without their car, they may lose their livelihood, miss their kid’s soccer games, and be forced to rely on often late, always grimy public transportation.
Because your customers depend so much on their cars to lead a successful life, you owe it to them to use only the finest tools while on the job. Or maybe you want to do it yourself and need a good priced and quality tool. You should always choose tools from a recognized and respected manufacturer. Cheap tools will save you a couple of dollars in the short-term, but won’t guarantee you a decent performance and will very rarely give you one. It is a long-standing rule of entrepreneurship that you must spend money to make money, so widen your budget ever so slightly and buy your tools from a reputable brand, such as Snap-on, SuperKrome, or my personal favorite, Craftsman.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Five Most Common Craftsman Mechanic Tools
I have been using Craftsman tools almost my entire career, as have several generations of Mechanics. Craftsman first opened for business in the spring of 1927 and quickly established itself as one of the premier manufacturers of mechanic tools in the world. Since then, the brand has worked tirelessly to remain on the forefront of innovation, frequently introducing drastic redesigns of everyday tools to make them more convenient and effective than ever.
Any Craftsman tool would make a valuable addition to your arsenal, but choosing one to start off with may be a challenge. For this article, I have gathered five of the most common Mechanics Craftsman tools to introduce – and possibly convert – you to the brand. Let’s get started.
Five Most Common Craftsman Mechanic Tools
|Craftsman 100 Piece drilling and driving kit||
|(4.0 / 5)|
|Craftsman 9-31794 Slotted Phillips Screwdriver Set, 17 Piece||
|(4.7 / 5)|
|Craftsman 56-piece Universal Mechanics Tool Set||
|(4.5 / 5)|
|Craftsman 230-Piece Mechanics Tool Set, 50230||
|(4.6 / 5)|
|Craftsman Evolv 5 Piece Pliers Set||
|(4.5 / 5)|
Craftsman 100 Piece Drilling and Driving Kit
Consumer Ratings (4.0 / 5)
It’s pretty difficult to come across a drilling and driving kit with 50 pieces, let alone one with 100. Most will offer 20 heads or so, which is fine for a hobbyist, but simply doesn’t grant the versatility needed to make a living off your craft. With the Craftsman 100 Piece Drilling and Driving Kit, you can be sure that you will be able to complete every job that comes through your door.
- A balanced selection of power bits and insert bits
- A selection of flat, torx, and Phillips driving bits
- Folding case with built-in storage compartment
- I think the most obvious pro of purchasing this Craftsman product – or, indeed, any Craftsman product – is that you receive a set of tools manufactured by the best in the business. You can purchase this 100 piece drilling and driving kit safe in the knowledge that it will last you for years.
- Generally selling for less than $20, the Craftsman 100 Piece Drilling and Driving Kit is a great option for young mechanics who need to accumulate tools but don’t have a large budget.
- The drill bits featured in this kit are suitable for use on metal, wood, and plastic.
The Craftsman 100 Piece Drilling and Driving Kit does not, in fact, contain 100 unique tools. A significant portion of the promised 100 pieces is made up of duplicates and slight variations.
The Craftsman 100 Piece Drilling and Driving Kit does not have a whole lot of drawbacks and those who have purchased it have very rarely regretted doing so. Each tool promises a stellar performance and all will last you for years on end, allowing you plenty of time to build the auto shop empire you have always dreamed of.
Drill Bits Included
- Masonry drill bits – 1/8″, 5/32″, 11/64″, 3/16″, 7/32″, 1/4″
- Wood brad drill bits – 1/8″, 3/16″, 1/4″, 5/16″, 3/8″
- Black oxide bits – 1/16″, 5/64″, 3/32″, 7/64″, 1/8″, 9/64″, 5/32″, 3/16″, 1/4″
- Spade bits – 1/2″, 5/8″, 3/4″
What Consumers Say about the Craftsman 100 Piece Drilling & Driving Kit
- Initially I bought this set to have around should the occasion arise. I’m finding that I’m using this more and more for projects. And the case is a must to keep things together.
These are great drill bits and they work well. Once I get all setup my drill press I can actually use and these will be great for this and for my hand held drill as well.
This is a really nice drill and screw set. Has every size imaginable. I’ve already used many of the bits.
- I got this for my Dad for Christmas and he has used much of the many pieces in this set and, so far, none have broke, stripped, bent etc.. This is the perfect set for household use and more especially for the incredible price!
Tons of bits. None have broken…. YET. I do HVAC service and installs.
Craftsman Slotted Phillips Screwdriver Set
Consumer Ratings [4.7]
If you’re a mechanic who doesn’t go straight for the electric tools when there’s a job to be done, you’re going to love the Craftsman Slotted Phillips Screwdriver Set. This set is a collection of 17 screwdrivers, each crafted with the dedication to detail and quality mechanics such as yourself have come to expect from Craftsman.
- 9 slotted screwdrivers, 7 Phillips screwdrivers, and a 4-in-1 pocket keychain
- Durable butyrate handles
- Heat-treated blades
- Each screwdriver featured in the Craftsman Slotted Phillips Screwdriver Set has been manufactured in the United States of America. If you’re one of our many American readers, you can use these tools comfortable in the knowledge that you are helping workers just like you put food on the table.
- The aforementioned butyrate handles are designed to work with your hand and increase the power you output with every turn, minimizing the time required to tighten or loosen a screw.
- Each screwdriver in this set features a heat-treated blade, so it can withstand all sorts of high-pressure projects.
Although it may not be a major issue for mechanics with a lot of storage space, the Craftsman Slotted Phillips Screwdriver Set does not come packaged in a carrier case. While the screwdrivers featured in the set are designed to last in intense environments, you must find a suitable place to store them if they are to perform to a high standard for any length of time.
Like all products from Craftsman, the Craftsman Slotted Phillips Screwdriver Set promises a relentlessly impressive performance from each individual tool. Although the kit sells for less than $50, all 17 screwdrivers – including the seemingly trivial 4-in-1 pocket chain, will give you the power and consistency of a more expensive model for years on end.
What Consumers Say about the Craftsman Slotted Phillips Screwdriver 17pc Set
- Except for small electronics, these screwdrivers will get you in and out of anything ever. They are high quality with a decent grip and a perfect variety of size.
- Classic Craftsman screwdriver set. It has both Phillips and flat head screw drivers in all sizes for almost any job.
- Why didn’t I buy this earlier? I sort of had a hodgepodge screwdriver kit before and it was always a headache to find just the right size for the job. Ever since I got this, I haven’t had that problem anymore.
- Quality screw drivers. Ive used then while working on my car and they hold up to rough handling as well as staying easily manipulated even while greasy/oily.
- I’ve started to build my DIY toolbox and these should last me the rest of my life, hopefully… It has Craftsman lifetime warranty so if they do break I have that option.
Craftsman 56 Piece Universal Mechanics Tool Set
Consumer Ratings (4.5 / 5)
The Craftsman 56 Piece Universal Mechanics Tool Set is the first product on this list specifically designed for use by Mechanics (as you probably guessed from the name). Offering a large collection of heavy-duty wrenches, this is ideal for any mechanic who doesn’t mind using a bit of elbow grease when the job calls for it.
- Craftsman’s exclusive quick-release technology
- Increased torque from wrenches
- Black oxide protected tools for better grip
- A major bonus of the Craftsman 56 Piece Universal Mechanics Tool Set is that each tool in the set is backed by Craftsman’s incredible lifetime warranty. This lifetime warranty was once included with all Craftsman offerings, but the brand today limits it to only a few products. Thankfully, this is one of them.
- The tools in this set come neatly packaged in a sturdy red and black plastic case. This is ideal for Mechanics who store their tools in their van and don’t want them to be damaged during transport.
- Each tool in this set features a black oxide finish, which will allow you to work for hours without feeling the slightest strain in your wrist.
The Craftsman 56 Piece Universal Mechanics Tool Set is one of the few Craftsman products not actually manufactured in the United States. Instead, the tools in this set were produced in China, away from the attentive eyes of Craftsman’s usual manufacturing team.
For mechanics who want to minimize the number of tools they carry, the Craftsman 56 Piece Universal Mechanics Tool Set is one of the best options out there. Each tool stored in the thick black and red box offers that wondrous combination of versatility and durability that many products from many other brands just don’t have.
What Consumers Say about the Craftsman 56-piece Universal Tool Set
Wow!! Perfect all around tools kit….from home repairs in plumbing to maintenance on the kid’s bikes to small repairs on the work truck and family car.
Love it. I would recommend to people using ratchets and sockets. I will always have these in my toolbox.
- This tool set is nice. Quality of craftsman has gone down a bit but still a good set. Some imperfections, mainly on the black coating.
Once you’ve used this a few times you’ll see that it’s the best ratchet solution available. Glad I have this gem of a kit.
- Picked this up as a fairly complete toolkit for our third vehicle. Execution is nice enough–I’m ambivalent about the new style ratchet/box end wrenches–on softer nuts they tend to tear things up a bit.
Craftsman 230 Piece Mechanics Tool Set
Consumer Ratings (4.6 / 5)
If you need to totally reconstruct your arsenal, the Craftsman 230 Piece Mechanics Tool Set is a great place to start. While a lot of mechanics tool sets – even some produced by Craftsman – are designed to be used by hobbyists and professionals alike (sometimes by hobbyists exclusively), this tool set contains only professional quality tools.
- Magnetic handle with 12 nut drivers and 40 screwdriver bits
- Universal joints and extension bars
- All tools feature a silver finish
- Every tool included in the Craftsman 230 Piece Mechanics Tool Set is composed of alloy steel, which is complimented by a silver finish. The alloy steel construction serves to make the tools incredibly durable and perfect for the frequent high-pressure work of the average mechanic.
- Like Craftsman’s most impressive tool sets, the Craftsman 230 Piece Mechanics Tool Set comes packaged in a sturdy case, so you can organize them and protect them with ease.
- Much like the previous product, the Craftsman 230 Piece Mechanics Tool Set is backed by the brand’s now elusive lifetime warranty, so you will always be covered should the tools stop performing as they should.
Although the case in which these tools come packaged is sturdy, it is lacking in an adequate storage compartment for its included Allen wrenches. Unlike the other tools featured in this set, the Allen wrenches come packaged in plastic bags and so should be stored out of the case.
When I first discovered the Craftsman 230 Piece Mechanics Tool Set, I was pleasantly surprised. Never before had I seen such a vast selection of tools for sale in one collection. Even now, the versatility of this kit is hard to come by, so it is more than deserving of a place on your shopping list.
Socket Sizes Included in Toolset
43481 5/32″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43491 3/16″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43492 7/32″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43493 1/4″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43494 9/32″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43495 5/16″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43496 11/32″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43497 3/8″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43498 7/16″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43499 1/2″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43480 9/16″ socket 6pt std inch 1/4″
43505 4 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43501 5 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43511 5.5 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43502 6 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43503 7 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43504 8 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43507 9 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43508 10 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43509 11 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43513 12 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43514 13 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43512 14 mm socket 6pt std metric 1/4″
43608 3/16″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43609 7/32″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43601 1/4″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
46302 9/32″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43603 5/16″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43604 11/32″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43605 3/8″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43606 7/16″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43607 1/2″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43610 9/16″ socket 12pt std inch 1/4″
43571 3/16″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43572 7/32″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43573 1/4″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43574 9/32″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43575 5/16″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43576 11/32″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43577 3/8″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43578 7/16″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43589 1/2″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
43587 9/16″ socket 6pt deep inch 1/4″
44401 4 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44402 5 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44403 6 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44404 7 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44405 8 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44406 9 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44407 10 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44408 11 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44409 12 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44411 13 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
44412 14 mm socket 6pt deep metric 1/4″
43538 1-1/2″ extension bar 1/4″
42999 1/4″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43000 5/16″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43001 3/8″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43002 7/16″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43003 1/2″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43004 9/16″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43005 5/8″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43006 11/16″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43007 3/4″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43008 13/16″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43013 7/8″ socket 6pt std inch 3/8″
43516 6 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43533 7 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43536 8 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43541 9 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43542 10 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43543 11 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43544 12 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43545 13 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43546 14 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43547 15 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43570 16 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43548 17 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43579 18 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43549 19 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43580 20 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
43584 21 mm socket 6pt std metric 3/8″
44351 1/4″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44329 5/16″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44331 3/8″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44332 7/16″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44333 1/2″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44334 9/16″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44335 5/8″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44336 11/16″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44337 3/4″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44338 13/16″ socket 12pt std inch 3/8″
44294 6 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44295 7 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44296 8 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44301 9 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44302 10 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44309 11 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44303 12 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44304 13 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44305 14 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44306 15 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44311 16 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44307 17 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44312 18 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44308 19 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
44314 21 mm socket 12pt std metric 3/8″
47507 11/16″ socket 12pt std inch 1/2″
47508 3/4″ socket 12pt std inch 1/2″
47511 13/16″ socket 12pt std inch 1/2″
47512 7/8″ socket 12pt std inch 1/2″
47513 15/16 socket 12pt std inch 1/2″
44237 17 mm socket 12pt std metric 1/2″
44267 18 mm socket 12pt std metric 1/2″
44238 19mm socket 12pt std metric 1/2″
44268 20 mm socket 12pt std metric 1/2″
44249 21 mm socket 12pt std metric 1/2″
44264 3″ extension bar 3/8″
44807 1/4″ quick release tear drop ratchet
44808 3/8″ quick release rear drop ratchet
44809 1/2″ quick release rear drop ratchet
44693 3/8″ combination wrench
44694 7/16″ combination wrench
44695 1/2″ combination wrench
42915 11mm combination wrench
42916 12mm combination wrench
42917 13mm combination wrench
43373 magnetic handle
12pc nut setter bits
50pc screw driver/ hex / torx with adapter
46696 20 pc hex key set inch
46677 20 pc hex key set metric
What Consumer Say about the Craftsman 230pc Mechanics Tool Set
- It comes in a good case too, so you have it all organized. That helps a lot with knowing if one is missing, and for finding the right size for what you need.
Perfect for more than just your car, I use it for home and bike repair too. I’d mark what side is upon the case though because stupidity happens and causes a mess.
EXCELLENT tool set, I did buy the complete screw driver set as well as the SAE wrenches – Quality sockets and ratchets, I did need to buy some extensions , If you need a good deal , don’t pass this up.
Great set for the weekend warrior. It was a great addition to my garage.
- This is a good set of basic mechanics tools and it is a good value. However, there are a few things this set could use to make it even better. First, the inclusion of a 6″ and 10″ extension bar would have been great. Second, I wish it had some type of caddy for the Hex Wrenches.
Craftsman Evolv 5 Piece Pliers Set
Consumer Ratings (4.5 / 5)
Most tool sets on the market focus primarily on wrenches, screwdrivers, and ratchets, so a pair of pliers can be hard to come by. In an attempt to remedy that problem, Craftsman put together this 5 piece set of pliers. The admittedly not-so-creatively named Craftsman Evolv 5 Piece Pliers Set includes what are arguably the most effective, durable, and consistently reliable pliers on the market.
- Includes diagonal pliers, long-nosed pliers, lineman’s pliers, slip joint pliers, and groove joint pliers
- Composed of rust-resistant metal
- Innovative comfort handles
- Each of the pliers in this set comes in at less than 10 inches in length, which you’ll no doubt appreciate if you have tried conducting the precise work of a mechanic with a larger pair.
- Every item in the Craftsman Evolv Piece Pliers Set is composed of durable metal that is capable of resisting rust, drops, and the general passing of time.
- An ergonomically designed handle makes for a more comfortable user experience and allows you to work for hours on end without risking an ache in your wrist or arm the following day.
The small size of the pliers featured in this set is both a gift and a curse. While it is nothing but a plus if you are working on a task that requires precision and attention to detail, it can make it difficult to get leverage when performing larger jobs.
- 6″ diagonal pliers
- 6″ long nosed pliers
- 7″ lineman pliers
- 6″ slip joint pliers
- 8″ groove joint pliers
A lot of new mechanics mistakenly assume that they can cheap out on pliers because they aren’t a part of every job. However, they soon learn that there is no replacement for a quality pair. The Craftsman Evolv 5 Piece Pliers Set is ideal for novice mechanics and could conceivably last an entire career before showing signs of wear.
What Consumers Say about the Craftsman Evolv 5pc Pliers Set
- During the process of reorganizing and upgrading my workshop I wanted a complete set of quality pliers and these really fit the bill. I bought the vise grip style and this set. Craftsman is hard to beat and this set is no exception. They look great and work great.
- This is a nice set of pliers. They work well and are not too loose or too tight when using.
I bought these tools to use around the house. I don’t really think they are intend for professional mechanics but they work well for everything I need.
Love these tools. Great grip and all around performance. I recommend these to anyone who needs a great set of pliers.
- As always craftsmen tools are excellent. Purchased as a gift for my husband and you can never go wrong. The item arrived very quickly even during the Christmas season.
A mechanic is only as good as their tools, so it is essential that you get your oily hands on the best of the best if you are to become everything you are capable of being. Each of the Craftsman products featured in this article is relatively common and can boast of top-seller status in all stores and on all websites it is available.
Something like the Craftsman 230-Piece Mechanics Tool Set, 50230 is perfect for a Do It Yourself-er mechanic just starting out on their career or somebody looking to rejuvenate or replace their arsenal. With its many tools, the Slotted Phillips Screwdriver will make a great addition to your collection, particularly if you’re like me and constantly misplace your screwdrivers!